Hi folks,

I remember discussing keyboard issues a long time ago...

On  13 Sep, this message from Michel Dänzer echoed through cyberspace:

>> > Ideally, the kernel should send up the same codes as a PC keyboard.
>>
>> It doesn't always do that - that's why I asked for someone to collect
>> the ADB init messages. More precisely, we need those together with
>> the xkb model that works right for a particular machine. Maybe the
>> ISO keyboards all work with the swapped keys (in which case
>> macintosh_iso would be a good name)?
>
> I'm afraid that'd be pointless, as the user only has a chance to see
> the term 'ISO' (in the kernel output) if the kernel correctly detects
> and handles the keyboard in the first place.

I remember some kernel versions printing "detected ISO keyboard,
swapping keys...". So yes, I think I can confirm the key swapping
happens betwen ANSI and ISO keyboards.

Now, those types should match certain layouts, i.e. a specific layout
should have one and only one well defined type, ANSI or ISO.

So far so good, that would make the problem go away once all layouts are
corrected.

But as has been said, the kernel sometimes misdetects the keyboard type,
for yet unknown reasons. It could as well be a problem of the PMU
reporting the wrong type... Anyway, probably nothing automatic can be
done about this.

So yes, a user-configured option for XKB seems to be the best solution.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   [EMAIL PROTECTED]            |