On Thursday 15 November 2007 16:24:04 Nicholas Helps wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been working with Debian for quite a few years now and using
> powermac G3 machines with extra network cards in them as routers and
> firewalls, etc. These machines were set up back in the days of Woody and
> have been kept uptodate with security updates, but otherwise pretty much
> left untouched. Due to the issues around the firmware in these machines and
> because it was useful, I always set them up to boot initially into mac OS9
> then use BootX to hand over the Debian. This worked a treat.
>
> However, I thought it would be good come up to date by installing Etch
> instead.

just a quickie... why didn't you upgrade?

> I used a free machine that was not actually in use and ran the
> install using the current network install ISO. Things have changed since
> the days of woody and it now seems that floppy images (boot image and root
> image) are no longer used. Hence, I copied the initrd.gz file over to the
> mac HD and set that as the ram disk for the install. I also copied across
> the linux kernel and put that into the kernels folder in the system folder.
> Using that allows me to boot into the installer and using the installer I
> deleted the previous linux partition (hda7) and swap (hda8) and made new
> ones. Then installed the base system, etc,etc all the way through to where
> it runs tasksel. I just leave that at the basic system for now. Following
> on some more, finally we get to the point of trying to install Quik (which
> I don't need) and it gives an error anyway, since I have selected ext3 file
> system that is not supported in quik. I therefore say to carry on without a
> boot loader. Everything goes fine all the way to rebooting into the new
> system. However, when I do that, OS9 will not boot up. I just get the
> flashing disk symbol with a question mark on it. Popping the OS9 CD and
> booting off that and then running disk setup shows me that the HD has
> somehow been altered so it is not recognised properly as a mac HD. During
> the partitioning step, I did not alter anything other than hda7 and 8.
>
> I have found that I can reinstall the apple hard disk driver onto the disk
> and this then gets OS9 up and working. However, I cannot then boot into
> Debian, since the boot process gets a little way in and then I get a kernel
> panic at the point where it tries to mount the file system (error about no
> file system at /dev/hda7).

it seems like you are missing support for root partition.. or maby the other
thing witch mac uses .. the partition thingy, about to sleep now, and only 5%
brain activity, so I won't go lookin it up.

> I have done this several times now and the same thing happens every time.
> The install goes fine but then I end up with a completely unusable machine.

happens every time i forget something crusial. ;D
to tired to explain and help right now.

> I am wondering if I am going about the install process wrongly (ie using
> the initrd.gz file). I can't find anything really useful in the install
> manual or using Google. I will probably end up looking really stupid when
> someone points out an obvious mistake I have made, but I can live with
> that.
>
> If anyone has got etch installed on the beige g3 (its a 266 mhz machine,
> but I can't tell you the firmware version, etc. Would need to find out how
> to get at this) and can share their expertise, it would be most
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nick.

> Dr. N.R. Helps
> Medical Research Council Protein Phosphorylation Unit
> College of Life Sciences
> MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
> University of Dundee
> Dundee