On Wed, Dec 05 2007, at 19:14 -0700, Bob Lounsbury wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2007 2:39 PM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 03 2007, at 17:02 -0700, Bob Lounsbury wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've had etch installed on my iBook G3 dual-usb for several months and
> > > everything has been working perfectly. Except, the other day when I
> > > booted up my computer wireless didn't work and when I looked in
> > > Desktop->Administration->Networking my wireless card was listed as
> > > inactive. So I activated it and pointed it to my wireless network with
> > > DHCP and everything seemed to work, but it still wouldn't connect or
> > > find/detect any wireless networks.
> >
> > Changes done to your system settings before wireless broke?
> >
> > Did you install new software before wireless stopped working?
> >
> > *Provided* you didn't install new software or change settings:
> >
> > This is where I'd check the networking devices: Wireless router,
> > wireless card etc.
> >
> > Do you still have some OSX installed? If yes: is wireless working on
> > that system?
> >
> > Or do you have some Apple hardware testing DVD for your computer?
> >
> > What does
> > grep eth /var/log/messages
> > say after you tried to connect your computer to the wireless network
> > (provided your radio card is called something like eth<whatever>) ?
> >
> > Sometimes even reinstalling some package might help, IIRC ... (?)
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Wolfgang
>

> Sorry for the delayed response I've been traveling the past few days for work.
>
> As to the wireless problem, nothing was installed/changed/upgraded
> before wireless stopped working.
>
> I am dual-booting OSX and yes the wireless is working perfectly there.
> So I know there is no problem with the wireless card or network, only
> Debian.
>
> I ran the grep command and eth2 is my wireless and it says: "localhost
> kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth2: link is not ready".

I haven't found definitions for this ADDRCONF acro anywhere, so I have
to guess:

How do you organize your wireless: DHCP?  - the answer might provide
your router, and the wireless settings in /etc/ ..

But I'm really not sure whether I can help here:

I have given it up long time ago to set up wireless on Linux,
it's simply too much work, and the outcome seems uncertain ...

So others who got wireless working might come in here ....

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key: 0xE3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on