No sound -- when I try to play an OGG file, I still get the message I
quoted earlier: "cannot find card '0' [...] Could not load default
driver and no driver specified in config file. Exiting."

(Removing the ~/.libao file changes the last line of this message to
"Error: Cannot open device alsa09", which we saw before as well.)