Just read the link re: PermitRoot --without-password

My comment - typical "developer" string - because many people are looking
for passwordless login for root, and from my UNIX background I would take
"--without-password" very literally. I suspect what is intended is
"--no-password-auth-permitted", meaning some other form of authentication
is accepted, e.g., PKI.

Because of the comment in sshd_config I was thinking it was something in
the PAM configuration I needed to look at. And, FYI - if you follow the
suggestion in the sshd_config (re PAM) no login for anyone (using passwords
at least) is permitted.

Thank you for the link - I shall copy my keys in (later) and report back.
And secondly, for the link - for the changes history! Excellent!

Michael