Le mar. 14 janv. 2020 à 13:52, Alexandre Bencz <alebe...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> Which version is possible to install on the G5 Dual?
> I tried several versions yesterday and all gave error when installing GRUB,
> the error was: "GRUB Dummy Failed
> Another thing ... how to boot the Radeon GPU?

There's an issue in current 5.x kernls in Debian for (some) G5, the
fix was submitted upstream but is probably not yet integrated.
4.x (and older) kernels should be fine.

I've never actually gotten Grub to work on either G4 or G5, but I
didn't try very hard. - I'm happy with 'yaboot', which is what the
Debian 8 installer uses by default I believe.

You could try installing Debian 8 (from 'archive') and then upgrading
to the current port, sticking with yaboot (at least at first) - and
avoiding 5.x kernels. That worked for me on a G4 last week.

Alternatively, you could download the 'Fienix Open Firmware G5 Image',
uncompress it, 'dd' it to your G5 hard drive on another linux machine
(wiping  the drive from everything else, I have two drives in my G5,
one OS per drive), and then cross-(up|down)grade to Debian ports.
Fienix used to have a newer 4.x than Debian, usable as a stop-gap
until Debian's 5.x are fixed.

As for the Radeon GPU, if it works in OF/OSX, it should work in Linux
as well I would assume (mine has a NVidia GPU, works OK with the
'nouveau' driver).

Cordially & good luck,

--
Romain Dolbeau