On 4/16/21 1:27 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
>> Yeah. From what I can see from links [1] and [2] I'd expect this to be
>> working now.
>> Let me run an install of the latest ISO here, since then I can then use a
>> debugger
>> on QEMU/OpenBIOS to find out what the problem may be.
> (...)
> The main problem I found was that starting from a blank drive image in QEMU
> the
> /boot/grub HFS partition wasn't being created - see the attached PNGs where
> part-original.png
> is the layout from the default guided installation and part-modified.png is
> after I had
> manually removed the / partition, added the /boot/grub HFS partition (I guess
> a 32MB size?)
> and then assigned the remaining space to the / partition once again.
> (...)
> # grub-install --macppc-directory=/boot/grub/
>
> (this installed /boot/grub/System/Library/CoreServices/BootX which was
> missing before?)

Your machine is obviously not detected as a New World PowerMac and thus, none
of the mechanisms for
New World PowerMacs are applied. If archdetect doesn't show you're on a
"powerpc/powermac_newworld",
neither the automatic partioning nor the installation of GRUB for PowerMacs is
triggered correctly.

> # umount /boot/grub/
> # hmount /dev/sda3
> Volume name is "untitled"
> Volume was created on Thu Apr 15 20:51:52 2021
> Volume was last modified on Thu Apr 15 21:48:40 2021
> Volume has 22705664 bytes free
> root@debian:/boot# hls
> fonts             grub.cfg          locale            powerpc-ieee1275
> grub              grubenv           mach_kernel       System
> # hattrib -b :System:Library:CoreServices
> # hattrib -c chrp -t tbxi :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX

So, I thought setting the filetype isn't necessary?

> # hls -l :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX
> f  tbxi/chrp         0     16632 Apr 15 22:53
> :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX
> # humount
> # shutdown -h now
>
> After that I was able to reboot successfully by switching qemu-system-ppc to
> boot from the HD using -boot c instead:
>
> ./qemu-system-ppc -hda deb10.qcow2 -cdrom debian-10.0.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso
> -boot c -m 512 -nographic

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz