Hello!

On 3/26/22 15:57, Stan Johnson wrote:
> I used the image from your 18 Mar 2022 message:
> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2022-03-18/non-free/

That image doesn't work. Use the latest one:

> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2022-03-24/

> AFAIK, GRUB needs to use Apple_Bootstrap (how else will Open Firmware
> know how to boot?). And the Apple_Bootstrap partition is formatted as
> HFS (but "Apple_Bootstrap" instead of "Apple_HFS" so Mac OS won't access
> it).

No, that's not how it works. OpenFirmware looks for a partition that contains
a bless bootloader. It's got nothing to do with the Apple_Bootstrap partition.

See the explanation here:

> https://opensource.apple.com/source/bless/bless-37/README.BOOTING

>> And if you used the correct image, what steps did you perform?
>
> I booted the installation image and chose a default installation.

Well, you didn't choose the correct image so this question is moot.

>> Did you run in expert mode? I could imagine that expert mode turns off all
>> warnings and therefore it didn't tell you when your manual partitioning
>> resulted in an unusable partition layout.
>
> In my second test (step 3 from my earlier message) I chose a default
> installation and told the partitioner to use the entire disk. The
> installer repartitioned the disk to contain the following partitions:
>
> 1: /dev/sda1 - partition map
> 2: /dev/sda2 - Apple_Bootstrap (hfs, 256 MB)
> 3) /dev/sda3 - Debian rootfs (ext4, ~110 GB)
> 4) /dev/sda4 - Linux swap (swap, ~768 MB)

Yeah, that doesn't work.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz