On Tue 11 Oct 2016 at 12:19:30 +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> >> On 10/10/16 21:22, Brian Potkin wrote:
> >
> > My view would be that with printing problems users have to be prepared
> > to dig into log files, particularly the error_log. Without it a user
> > will get nowhere -fast.
> >
> > [...Snip...]
> In that case, we really need to anticipate having a GUI for browsing
> SysLog in the default desktop.  Text based log files are not great for
> the average user and even for power users, the text-based log files
> don't distinguish errors from warnings or info messages.

As promised:

It will eventually be linked to from a forthcoming hplip page/section
and perhaps from elsewhere.

IMO, there is no bug of any description in cups or hplip; that does not
mean the error messages in logs are clearly understandable or cover all
possible causes of failure. An all-encompassing GUI to browse text logs
and make them understandable on all levels to all users is well beyond
the resources and remit of the printing framework; a Debian-wide effort
would be necessary. Perhaps opening a discussion on -devel would lead to
a consensus?

(Ever since the beginning of this report I have been intrigued by the
ABC123DEF.local in the daemon.log. I assume you used hp-setup; hp-setup
discovers printers on the network, not print queues, and I've only seen
HPXXXXXX or NXXXXXXX in the device_uri. The LaserJet 3055 does AirPrint
so I suppose you altered this from the printer's web interface? Just
curious; it all adds to the store of knowledge :) ).