On Mon 01 Oct 2018 at 18:05:31 +0300, Tancredi-Paul Grozav wrote:

> Hi, Brian,

Hi, Tancredi-Paul. Don't forget to mail the bug in any reply. I dealt
with the last post for you.

>   Thank you for paying attention to this issue.
>
>   Since I'm running HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (*ver. 3.16.11*) I
> downloaded
> https://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/auxfiles/HP/plugins/hplip-3.16.11-plugin.run
> and then ran:
>
>   sh hplip-3.16.11-plugin.run --tar xf
>   python installPlugin.py
>
>   No errors so far. But i still get the same error when scanning with both
> commands:
>
>   hp-scan -d hpaio:/net/HP_LaserJet_M1120n_MFP?ip=192.168.200.16
>   scanimage -d hpaio:/net/HP_LaserJet_M1120n_MFP?ip=192.168.200.16 >
> image.pnm
>
>   Using the latest hplip plugin (3.18.9) didn't help either. I even tried
> to install hplip and hplip-plugin from HP, the latest versions(both
> 3.18.9), to avoid debian's repos. I still get the same error.
>
>   libsane-hpaio is installed, and the latest version(in debian's repos).

You have a device which works. I have two machines which scan. None of
them need a plugin. I am reluctant to see libsane-hpaio or libhpmud0
as being at fault. There is also an absence of bug reports involving
the two libraries.

Has the m1120n ever scanned reliably? Does a USB connection make any
difference?

>   I saw that that folder you gave me contains a .plugin file:
> https://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/auxfiles/HP/plugins/hp_laserjet_m1120n_mfp.plugin
> that seems to be made for exactly this hp printer. Is there something
> special about this scanner device? should I use that file in any way?

Probably not; scanning wasn't supported until HPLIP 2.8.9. I suppose it
might be worth trying that plugin.

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/release_notes

>   I am starting to think that there might be a problem at a lower level.
> Every now and then I can receive an image from that scanner, but It's quite
> random, maybe 1 out of 100 attempts. I'm not sure, but it might be related
> to powering off and on the device from it's button. Is there something we
> can do to determine if the problem is on the device itself, or the client
> computer? The network cable between them seems to be fine, because I can
> access the printer/scanner through it's web interface(and printing works
> fine). Also, the device settings did not change in the last few years and I
> am getting an image every now and then. The only thing changing is the
> software and config on my client computer. That's why I started this thread.

The SANE debugging techniques you used are the lowest level techniques
I am familiar and comfortable with. The problem does not appear to be
a network cable problem.

Regards,

Brian.