The list of CUPS locales is computed at build-time with the following
oneliner:

        $ ls -1 locale/cups_*.po 2>/dev/null | sed -e '1,$s/locale\/cups_//' -e
'1,
$s/\.po//' | tr '\n' ' '

It currently outputs:
        ca cs de en es fr it ja pt_BR ru zh_CN

That would explain it since i translated everything expect creating the cups_da.po file.

Danish translations are in:
https://github.com/apple/cups/blob/master/desktop/cups.desktop.in
https://github.com/apple/cups/tree/master/doc/da
https://github.com/apple/cups/tree/master/templates/da

I would have liked those files to be included even when cups_da.po does not exists.

I can create a untranslated cups_da.po just to fix it for me but maybe better to find another solution so it does not happen again for other languages.

For example the cups.desktop.in contains:
Name[af]=bestuur Printing
Comment[af]=CUPS Web Interface

But there are no locale/cups_af.po

So does this mean the [af] lines will be removed in Debian just because there are no locale/cups_af.po file?