tags 946198 upstream
thanks

On Fri 06 Dec 2019 at 11:08:19 +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:

> > Which printers list? An application dialog?
>
> Oops, sorry, I was referring to the printers tab on localhost:631. In
> the add printer dialog on the administration tab they are still listed.
> All application dialogs do not list the printers anymore either.
>
> > The outputs of 'lpstat -a' and 'lpstat -l -e', please. Activating
> > logging
>
> 'lpstat -a' does not list any of the printers, 'lpstat -l -e' lists
> them all.

The first command outputs local print queues; cups-browsed should form
these from what CUPS tells it with, essentially, the second command. It
obviously isn't doing that.

BTW, printing should still be available to you with 'lp -d...'. Also, if
you stop cups-browsed, the dialogs of LibreOffice and Qt apps (and maybe
GTK apps) should list printers and print queues.

> > in cups-browsed.conf and taking a look at a log wouldn't be a bad
> > idea.
>
> Fri Dec  6 11:00:58 2019 Removing entry B...
> (ipps://host.local:631/printers/B...) and its CUPS queue.
> Fri Dec  6 11:00:58 2019 Recording printer options for B... to
> /var/cache/cups/cups-browsed-options-B...
> Fri Dec  6 11:00:58 2019 Unable to get PPD file for B...: The printer
> or class does not exist.
> Fri Dec  6 11:00:58 2019 Unable to load PPD from local queue B...,
> queue seems to be raw.
> Fri Dec  6 11:00:58 2019 ERROR: Failed disabling printer 'B...': The
> printer or class does not exist.
>
> I guess that explains why the printer is no longer active, but what
> changed from the prior version of cups-browsed? I just verified again,
> downgrading cups-browsed from 1.25.13-1 to 1.25.12-1 fixes the problem
> and makes the printers appear again. And, yes, I can print on any of
> them without an issue. Or in other words, the system does have a PPD
> for the printer.
>
> Any idea?

In the past I have stopped cups and cups-browsed and removed the files
in /var/cache/cups, checked that there aren't any files in /etc/cups/ppd
and that /etc/cups/printers.conf is empty, then restarted the cups and
cups-browsed services.

If you do not get anywhere, please report it upstream at

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/issues

perhaps after reading

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/issues/124

Regards,