Hello Alex, and thanks for your bugreport,

Thankfully, now with driverless printing [0] and sane-airscan [1], printers
such as yours shouldn't need hplip anymore. (Also, hplip's code quality isn't
monotonously upwards, so printing without hplip is often a preferable option).
That said, the situation in sid and bullseye (current testing) is likely much
better in these respects than in buster. Could you maybe test driverless
printing, and/or sane-airscan?

As for the backporting; thank you for the patch removal proposals. As I've
just uploaded 3.20.9+dfsg0-3 to unstable; it should migrate to testing in
about 5-10 days, so , if your testing isn't successful, I'll prepare a 3.20.9
backport. I'm testing a build as I write this.

Please report the results of your tests if you have the occasion.

Best regards, and thanks for your work!

Cheers,
        OdyX

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/DriverlessPrinting