On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 04:17:10PM -0400, Federico Grau wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 08:44:40PM +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:
> > On Sat 26 Jun 2021 at 14:27:08 -0400, Federico Grau wrote:
> >
> > > In brief, success with basic scanning after installing and selecting
> > > sane-airscan.
> >

> I still have the ADF and 2-sided scanning to explore

Hell again debian-printing,

I wanted to update some of my progress with the HP ScanJet Pro 3500 f1 Flatbed
Scanner and Debian.

Trying Debian 10 'buster' (now oldstable) did not function, as there is no
"sane-airscan" package in the standard distro.  That package is available via
backports, but I did not pursue that.

As identified earlier, Debian 11 'bullseye' worked very well.  Packages I had
to install were "sane-airscan" and "hplip".  I did not require "hplip-doc" or
"hplip-gui"; the latter provides a desktop GUI with scanner status, but also
runs additional daemon processes.  For a SANE frontend I focused on the
"simple-scan" package, which has fewer options/variables than xsane.

Simply installing the above two packages and their dependencies (with a reboot
to ensure newly installed daemons were running, such as ipp-usb), allowed
scans to function to some degree via both the flatbed and ADF.

I was surprised things functioned without the proprietary HP binary "plug-in",
both from the command line with "hp-scan" (in the hplip package) and with
simple-scan.  However, without the binary plug-in simple-scan appeared to have
a significant memory leak, consuming 4 to 12GB of RAM when scanning ~60 pages
from the ADF.  Additionally, without the binary plug-in simple-scan could only
use the ADF scanning both sides.  Trying to scan only the front or back with
the ADF resulted in long blank pages.

While initially I had added non-priv users to th "lp" group, trying a
reinstall without that group membership still functioned OK.  Non-priv users
could access and use the scanner.

To install the binary plug-in, I ran "hp-setup -i" from the hplip Debian
package as a non-priv user while the scanner was powered-on and connected.  I
selected the USB connected scanner, downloaded the plug-in, accepted the
license, and provided root credentials when prompted.  I also proceeded to
setup a "print queue" accepting the defaults, but I'm not clear if that was
needed (or if quiting early would interrupt the setup).

Using simple-scan, selecting the "eSCL HP ScanJet Pro 3500 f1 (USB)" scanner
option was the one that worked (out of the 4 available scanner
choices/protocols listed).

After the binary plug-in was installed, there were no obvious memory leaks
with simple-scan.  Trying to scan just the "front" or "back" from the ADF
mostly worked, scanning the text side regardless of the selection.  This
functioned well enough for me to complete the task at hand, and I did not
retest with source pages that had text on both sides.

Exploring higher quality scans and color calibration, the "argyll" Debian
package maintainer (Dmitry Smirnov) was very helpful.  He generously assisted
with a version upgrade of argyll that supported my calibration target (IT8).
Unfortunately, I reached a temporary roadblock, as I do not yet have an output
calibration hardware device to measure a monitor.  It seems xsane requires
both input and output calibration configs.  For now that study is paused.

On the upside I am pleased to have a functional scanner with an efficient ADF
that scans both sides in a single pass.  This is a step up from the old HP
scanner that performed legacy acrobatics to feed ADF sheets twice for double
sided scans, and worse it required a windows computer.  Looking ahead I hope
to resume exploring calibrated scans, and also OCR.  Thanks again everyone for
the good work and support.

happy hacking,
donfede