On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 01:47:41PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 11:18 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
> > More and more frequently I'm encountering systems where third-party
> > repositories have been added into /etc/apt/sources.list or
> > /etc/apt/sources.list.d, usually put there by some .deb package that a
> > user installed from some third party site.
>
> This discussion reminds me of this wiki page:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/UntrustedDebs

This looks wrong to me: a vast majority of machines these days have a single
user, thus pwning root gives you little additional gain.

So, for running untrusted code you should execute it solely in a special
environment of some kind.  And if you're not executing those binaries
directly, what's the point in putting them into the standard paths?

--
An imaginary friend squared is a real enemy.