On Sat, 2016-12-03 at 10:27 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Mainly, it was a way to control who got email about the package.

Why was it called Maintainer instead of something more suitable then?

> I was there at the time; this may even have been my fault.  Sorry.

No worries, this is all hindsight talking.

> That was madness.  We should have just fixed the things that wanted a
> single email address for that field.
>
> We could still do this.  "Team maintained" packages would end up with
>   Maintainer: Alice, Bob, Cryptographic Tales Team

Instead, I'd kill Maintainer and use DEP-2 to manage who gets email for
a package, especially since that changes independently of packages.

> Oh god please no.  I wouldn't ever want to make any such statement.

Technically, you already are, with Maintainer/Uploaders :)

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html#s-maintainer

--
bye,
pabs