Eldon Koyle <eko...@gmail.com> writes:

> I think a big part of the issue here is the fact that by changing the
> logo for only one group ever (presumably for one month out of every
> year?), all other groups are marginalized.

Huh, why?

Organizations to which I belong celebrate all sorts of groups all the time
that I am not a part of, and I have never felt marginalized by that, so I
truly don't understand why this would make you feel that way.

Could it be that this is just the first group for which someone thought of
the idea, did the work, and made it happen?

Personally, I would be delighted if Debian did something like Google did
and changed our logo frequently to celebrate the enormous diversity of our
project, although I'm sure we don't have the resources to pull that off.
But even if we did that, I personally am not a part of any group that I
can think of off-hand that we would celebrate, and not only does that not
bother me, I don't even understand the process by which it would ever
bother me.

Celebrating someone doesn't mean marginalizing someone else.  Being part
of a community isn't an exercise in scale-balancing parsimony.

> How do we ensure that Debian remains unbiased outside the realm of free
> software?

We don't.  It's not possible.  Debian is a collection of humans and humans
have thoughts and political beliefs and are messy and social and
collabortive and spontaneous.  Some things will get time and attention and
resources and other things won't, and that's just what working with a
large collection of other people is like.

What we can strive for, rather than unbiased, is to be positively
inclusive, which means that if something matters to you and you're willing
to do the work and it's a statement of positive inclusion rather than
veiled exclusion (that bit is important; human communications come with
context that matters), let's figure out how to make it happen.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>