On 2020-04-15 at 07:45, Neil McGovern wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 07:22:53AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Would you be willing to list out which points it is from the given
>> "cons" category which you see as positives?
>
> I'd really rather not at this stage, as I'm already seemingly having
> to spend time talking about how Discourse is set up, rather than what
> I was trying to do. I don't want to end up in a big debate on where
> "requires account" or "distributed moderation based on trust levels"
> sits.
>
> The point of this Discourse instance is to try and see if there is
> interest in moving to it rather than smartlists for community
> discussions. If there is sufficient interest, we can then find a
> group of people who want to consider these tradeoffs and who are
> willing to help with the way categories are organised, for example.
>
> If there is sufficient pushback, I'll delete the instance, move on
> with my life, and conclude that no one in Debian can possibly try and
> innovate or do new things unless it is either:
> * 100% optional for people, or
> * made completely compatable with the old way of doing things

I think this might be overstating the case somewhat, even in that
scenario. Unfortunately, every attempt I've made to write out why,
explain my position, or argue my case, has gotten off into the weeds and
become clearly unhelpful even to my own eyes, and I don't want to
inflict that on this discussion.

> Apologies if the frustration is showing, but hopefully you can see where
> this is coming from.

Yes, this is definitely understandable. Thanks for clarifying that much,
at least.

I do hope to be able to get such an explanation / list at some later
point, if only to help expand my own perspective about how things can be
seen and better understand the world, but I can certainly see why you
wouldn't want to do it now.

--
   The Wanderer