On Mon, 2022-06-06 at 09:37 -0500, Shayan Akbar wrote:

> As someone who depends on the Debian project a lot in my daily life,
> I cannot seem to let this idea go... Can the linux project fall?

The Linux kernel project has been around since 1991 and is supported by
a large number of companies and volunteers. As with any project, Linux
of course has weaknesses and threats, but it is likely that Linux will
be with us for a long time.

https://lwn.net/Articles/895800/

Should the Linux project no longer be viable, Debian could expend some
effort to shift focus towards one of the many other kernel projects
that have been created since 1991.

> How does the project maintain itself against the man's intrinsic need
> to control and own?

Debian's structure and culture tries to balance the needs of each
participant in the project as well as balancing the needs of our users
and our philosophy. Through our focus on universality and pluralism we
are doing reasonably well in providing solutions for diverse needs,
retaining and attracting a diverse set of contributors to work on those
solutions and balancing the many external influences on our community.

https://www.debian.org/intro/organization
https://www.debian.org/devel/constitution
https://www.debian.org/intro/philosophy
https://www.debian.org/social_contract

> How many years can it stay strong and stay a free operating system
> benefiting billions?

Debian has been around for almost 30 years now and we have enough
participants and new contributors that we can probably continue.

In case you are interested in helping Debian stick around and stay
relevant for the next 30 years, please join us in improving Debian,
there are many different ways to help out using the skills that you
have now and you are sure to learn new skills while helping out:

https://www.debian.org/intro/help

--
bye,
pabs