Pierre-Elliott Bécue <p...@debian.org> writes:

> I really think it's not the matter, to me the matter is package
> ownership. While new contributors should feel that it's mandatory to
> discuss with maintainers, having people clamped so tightly to their
> packages that you don't know if these are actually packages or
> src:THE_ring is the issue to me.

I think a possible path forward is to provide a way for people to
explicitly opt out of package ownership and then see how much that
movement grows.  We've done various iterations of that in the past (the
Debian group on Salsa, the low-threshold NMU registration), but I feel
like Git plus Salsa provide useful tools to take this several steps
farther that we don't (so far as I know) have a clear way to opt in to.
In part because there are a few possible policies and it's not clear which
one we should pick.

Is there some way right now for me to say "any Debian contributor with
upload rights should feel free to merge changes and upload this package
without needing to consult me at all, and I will subscribe to the packages
feed for the package and say something if something happens that I don't
like" with a packaging repository on Salsa?  And if not, would that be a
good way to start?

Most of the language-specific teams essentially already implement this for
their packages and their team members, I think.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>