Matthias Klose wrote:
>      At any given time, the package `python-base' should represent the
>      current stable upstream version of Python.  XXX: Should we have an
>      exception for the case, when a new upstream version is released during
>      a Debian freeze?

It should probably be reworded so that it means the latest version we
are able to get into the release.

>      Only one package may contain the `/usr/bin/python' binary and that
>      package must either be `python' or a dependency of that package.

If you call the main package "python-base" then there is no "python"
package.

>      There can be any number of legacy Python packages available.  These
>      must be named `python-<X>.<Y>' and include the file
>      `/usr/bin/python<X>.<Y>'.

Here you have "python-<X>.<Y>" and elsewhere you have "python<X>.<Y>".

> 1.2. Base Package
> -----------------
>
>      In order to provide a minimal installation of Python for use by
>      applications without requiring the whole of Perl to be installed, the
>      `python-base' package contains the binary and a basic set of modules.

Perl?  Why the -base?  There is not a stripped down version of Python
and a full version.  Calling the package "python" is clearer, IMHO.

>      Python searches three different locations for modules.  The module
>      search path for Debian has been ordered to include these locations at
>      the beginning of the path in the following order:
>
>           /usr/local/lib/site-python
>           /usr/local/lib/python<X>.<Y>/site-packages
>           /usr/lib/python<X>.<Y>/site-packages

That should be:

           /usr/local/lib/python<X>.<Y>/site-packages
           /usr/local/lib/site-python
           /usr/lib/python<X>.<Y>/site-packages

>      3.   Support all/most versions of python, including the default.
>           Works only for architecture independant python modules.  NOT YET
>           SUPPORTED!!!

I assume you are refering to scheme where modules would get installed
into the search path of multiple Python interpreters.  I'm not sure
that's a good idea.

>      2.   You have version independant Python scripts/programs.  Create a
>           single package that depends on `python-base'.  Any name can be
>           used, but `python-<module>' is recommended for a library.  It
>           should install modules somewhere inside `/usr/lib/python/' and
>           use `#!/usr/bin/python' for programs.  The `postinst' script
>           should create symlinks in all `/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/' directories
>           that point to its `/usr/lib/python/' files and compile them.

If we going to do this, it's stupid for each package's pre/post scripts
to do the work.  I had implemented scripts so that packages could do:

    #!/bin/sh
    # postinst script
    PACKAGE=`basename $0 .postinst`
    /usr/lib/python/install-package $PACKAGE

    #!/bin/sh
    # prerm script
    PACKAGE=`basename $0 .prerm`
    /usr/lib/python/remove-package $PACKAGE

Much cleaner and harder to screw up, IMO.

> 4.1. Building Embedded Programs
> -------------------------------
>
>      Programs which embed a Python interpreter must declare a
>      `Build-Depends' on `python<X>.<Y>-dev'.

Extension modules should do this as well.

> A. Upgrade Procedure
> --------------------
>
>      This section describe the procedure for the upgrade from the current
>      `python-<XXX> (1.5)' packages to the `python1.5-<XXX>' packages, the
>      removal of the `python2-<XXX>' packages and the upgrade to the recent
>      `python2.1-<XXX>' upstream packages:
>
>      1.   File bugs against any packages that do not meet the above
>           alternatives for packages.

I have almost all the packages fixed already (for my proposed policy,
but it would be easy to change for your proposed policy).  I was going
to email the maintainers diffs.

I'm about ready to give up trying to improve the Debian/Python
situation.  I assumed the Python maintainers were busy and that's why
they didn't respond to any of my posts.  Now, new packages have been
installed into woody.  Hmm.

  Neil