Federico Di Gregorio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Il gio, 2002-07-25 alle 16:04, Hugo van der Merwe ha scritto:
> > Sorry, I've not checked for existing threads on this topic... will Sarge
> > use Python2.2 by any chance? Once this is decided, the sooner it is made
> > official, the sooner packages will start updating, and the faster we
> > will get a stable Sarge...

the question is, if _want_ 2.2 the default for sarge, or if we want 2.3.
we did miss the release of 2.2 by one month in woody (made the switch
in Nov 2001, 2.2 was released in Dec 2001).

> > Specifically, I am wondering if I should go to the trouble of compiling
> > a python2.2-based libapache-mod-python - probably, I just thought it
> > would be cool if I could get the maintainer to do it by filing a bug
> > report, which I can only sensibly do once we have 2.2 by default. I need
> > 2.2 for python2.2-dictclient, and for boost_python v2. (I've already got
> > a "local install" of newer pygame and pyopengl).
>
> python 2.2 is stable. do we have any important modules that *don't* work
> with 2.2? if not we can makeit the default.

some packages do have problems to built with 2.2 (packages which are
not updated for a loong time ...)

My current plan is:

- upload python2.3 packages soon (when 2.3alpha1 is released)

- remove python1.5 from unstable

- adopt python-central for 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3, hopefully with the
  help of the author, hint, hint

- upload python2.3 beta to unstable

- make it the python default

- remove python2.1 from unstable

I don't see much sense in making the switch to 2.2 now and then again
to 2.3. But anyway, let's make unstable really unstable first by
switching to gcc-3.2 as the default compiler (coming soon :-)

        Matthias