Hi,

We discussed that on IRC, I'll just post a quick summary:

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> i got the following bugreport, and i'm not sure about the best way to fix
> it. the problem is obvious: python-mysqldb depends on python2.3-mysqldb
> (= 1.2.1c3-6), but after a binNMU of python2.3-mysqldb it is version
> 1.2.1c3-6+b1.
>
> so three solutions spring into my mind:
> - relax the dependency to python2.3-mysqldb (>= 1.2.1c3-6)

Or simply depend on python2.3-mysqldb (without any version specified). The
main point of the dependency is to install python2.4-mysql automatically
when python2.4 will become the default version. The goal is not to ensure
that the latest version of the corresponding package is installed since an
upgrade will upgrade both at the same time anyway.

> - drop pythonX.Y-mysqldb packages, provide one python-mysqldb package
>   for all python versions. i'm not sure whether this is possible at all.

Not sure... and the python policy is kind of "not finished". But it seems
to make sense for me for some very small modules.

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-module_packages.html#s-all_versions

The policy says it's "not yet supported" and describes this the follwing
way:

 You have a version independent Python module. Create a single package
 python-foo that has a dependency

  Depends: python

 It should install modules somewhere inside
 /usr/lib/python/site-packages/ and use #!/usr/bin/python for
 programs. The postinst script should create symlinks in all
 /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/ directories that point to its
 /usr/lib/python/site-packages/ files and compile them.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog