On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 06:49:35PM +0100, Ondrej Certik wrote:

> python-numpy seems ok to go to testing, but:

> http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=python-numpy

> a) Updating python-numpy makes 1 depending packages uninstallable on
> i386: python-scipy, this should however fall into:

> 1. Sometimes packages have seemingly recursive dependencies (adding X
> makes Y uninstallable, Y is waiting for X). This means the new version
> of X will break the old version of Y, but there's also a new version
> of Y that needs the new version of X. As soon as all other
> dependencies are solved, the two packages can be hinted to go in
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> together.

A member of the release team has to notice the hint is needed or have it
pointed out by the maintainer, and then add that hint by hand.

That part's done now, though it's generally more effective to mail
debian-release instead of debian-python in order to get the release team to
take note. :)

The other problem is that python-scipy is *not* ready to go into testing:

$ grep-excuses python-scipy
python-scipy (0.5.2-0.1 to 0.6.0-5)
    Maintainer: Debian Python Modules Team
    21 days old (needed 5 days)
    out of date on arm: python-scipy (from 0.6.0-4)
    Not considered
    Depends: python-scipy python-numpy
$

The package is failing to build on arm with a swig error:
<http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=python-scipy&arch=arm&ver=0.6.0-5&stamp=1198958132&file=log&as=raw>

I don't know why this is happening only on arm, but it needs resolved before
these packages will be updated in testing.

> b) Updating python-numpy makes 5 non-depending packages uninstallable
> on i386: model-builder, ninix-aya, python-gastables, python-nifti,
> pyxplot

> Looking for example at:

> $ wajig show model-builder
> [...]
> Depends: python, python-central (>= 0.5.8), python-numpy-ext,
> python-scipy, python-wxtools, python-wxversion, python-matplotlib,
> python-setuptools

> I don't see why newer python-numpy makes it uninstallable.

Because it depends on python-scipy, which is the depending package that has
already been made uninstallable?

> Any ideas how to fix b), so that python-numpy can go to testing?

By dealing with python-scipy.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]