Pierre Habouzit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 10:59:05AM +0000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > What makes you think 'foo.pyc' is /var material?
>
>   Oh yes that seems obvious to me. In fact, I'd say it should be
> /var/cache material because:
>   + it's not mandatory to have it, python works fine without .pyc, just
>     (way) slower (which makes it /something/*cache* material per se).

It "works fine without it" only in the sense that it has to
re-generate it before the program can run. Much like any compiled form
of a program.

>   + it can be regenerated any time when a python version change (so that
>     we can gain new optimizations in how bytecode is built e.g.) which
>     makes it rather /var material rather than /usr.

This property still makes it change only when the packaging system
upgrades or installs software. If it only changes at that time, it
still seems more appropriate for /usr/ than /var/.

--
 \         "My mother was like a sister to me, only we didn't have sex |
  `\                                  quite so often."  -- Emo Philips |