On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 11:46:57PM -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> > > what was the actual use-case they solved?
> > As I understand it, the use case is analogous to the addition of
> > ‘/usr/local/bin’ to the ‘PATH’ environment variable in the default
> > shell profile.
>
> ok -- that would be my next target! ;)

I think you misunderstand the purpose of /usr/local. It is not a place for
users to put stuff only they need. It can't be, because /usr/local is
not writeable by ordinary user, but just by the system administrator.
/usr/local is the place for the system administrator to manually install
programs, libraries, and other stuff not tracked by Debian's packaging
system. As such it is assumed that the system administrator does know
what he's doing and Debian won't second-guess him and let those things
in /usr/local take precedence.

 - Sebastian