On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 17:48:18 +0200 Josselin Mouette <j...@debian.org> wrote:
>Le mardi 08 septembre 2009 à 21:50 +0700, Mikhail Gusarov a écrit :
>> Twas brillig at 16:42:41 08.09.2009 UTC+02 when pi...@debian.org did gyre
>> and gimble:
>>
>>  PO> I.e. using build dependencies to determine[1] requested Python
>>  PO> versions. Joss mentioned it on #debian-python recently so I guess
>>  PO> he's willing to remove pyversions...
>
>I can remove it, but only when all packages using it have stopped doing
>so. And frankly it sounds better, if we have to migrate them, to migrate
>them to a new build-dependencies based system rather than migrating them
>twice.

Since the build-dep approach should have agreement from all the helper
maintainers before it moves forward, I think it would be a good first step to
mark pyversions deprecated (initially in favor of XS-* and later in favor of
the build depends approach) and leave it up to package maintainers if they care
to change in the near term.

>> What about XB-Python-Version, is this field still useful?
>
>The only thing that used it was python-central, and it now stores the
>information on-disk, in /usr/share/pyshared-data/$package. So I think it
>could be removed.

Then (assuming this is verified) XB-* could also be deprecated.

Scott K