Thank you very much for your input, Jakub and Dmitry. I'll start working
on those changes right away. And yes, it would be very nice to try and
get a Python3 version up. In fact, I'm quite interested in learning how
to manually write the code, without dh (though I foresee it will take me
some time ;).

About the different versions in the git repository and the upstream
package, that is actually my fault. I checked out the code from the
upstream Mercurial repository and built the tarball myself, hence using
a more recent version than the one in the tarball. It is not, however,
an "official" release. How is this best handled? Should I revert the git
repository so to keep it in sync with the official releases? Also, out
of curiosity, is there ever the case where you will build a package
against a particular build, without it being officially released by
upstream?

Thank you again for your help.