On Jan 14, 2014, at 02:40 PM, Olivier Berger wrote:

>I've used git-buildpackage with git-svn on submodules of the DPMT SVN
>repo without too many difficulties so far.

I need to spend more time playing with git-bp, but last time I looked at it
(cannot remember which package), I had a lot of trouble unless the package
repo was organized Just Right.  One nice thing about svn-bp is that it pretty
much just works with a checked out working directory, even when you have local
uncommitted changes (--svn-ignore-new).

git-bp OTOH required a specific set of branches inside the repo to stitch
everything together and if those were missing, it failed miserably.  I could
be totally wrong about that, or I could have just been using the tool
incorrectly.

I've mostly made my peace with git, so in theory I wouldn't be opposed to the
team switching, but I still think it's not a good idea to have some team
packages in git and the bulk in svn.  I value the ability to use the same
tools and workflows for all team maintained packages.

I'm not motivated enough to do any work on such a transition itself, so I
think those who really want to switch to git need to work out a plan.  That
would include test repos, documentation updates, transition plans, educating
team members, fielding questions, fixing problems, etc.  I would personally be
supportive, and would be willing to review material and test out recipes.  But
I think this is going to require a few committed people to do some heavily
lifting over an extended period of time to make sure such a transition was
smooth and so that everyone on this team was comfortable with the new way of
doing things.

That's just my opinion, of course.
-Barry