On Mar 26, 2014, at 10:35 AM, Barry Warsaw <ba...@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2014, at 09:24 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:
>
>> In my half formed idea in my head the way it’d work is there’d be a
>> vendor-packages directory where downstream can install things to, and a flag
>> to the interpreter to remove the typical site-packages. So then you’d get
>> something like:
>>
>>   python -I —no-site-packages -m something
>
> There has to be a short option for --no-site-packages (or whatever) so that it
> will work with shebang lines, where we already recommend -Es.

Yea I just didn’t feel like thinking up a short option :)

>  But also, -I
> should imply this new option for full isolation.

Not sure about this, I don’t think I saw the original discussion but it looks
like
-I is to prevent the user from injecting malicious code (so it removes env vars,
the user site packages, the current dir, etc). I don’t think that something
installed by pip by the system administrator falls under that.

> Which means for Python 3.4 and beyond we should be recommending system
> services and scripts add -I to the shebang line instead of -Es.  Then we'd get
> this new /usr/local isolation switch for free.
>
> -Barry

Donald Stufft