Ben Finney <ben+deb...@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Ole Streicher <oleb...@debian.org> writes:
> Installing the non-program files to ‘/usr/share/foopackage/images/’ (for
> example) is simple enough, using ‘dh_install’.

I am using pybuild, and I am wondering why it doesn't do this
automatically (maybe with some help)?

Generally: pybuild seem to install all files into /usr/lib/? As far as I
understand the FHS [1], architecture independent files should go to
/usr/share. But, almost all python files (except maybe compiled .so
extensions) are architecture independent?

* .py sources
* .pyc bytecode
* .egg-info
* helper files in png, xml, txt, ...

What is the rationale between having all this in /usr/lib? And what
should I do with lintian-warnings like the one above? Just silence them?

I am asking a bit rigide here since I wanted to write a small newcomers
tutorial to package astropy affiliated packages [2]. These packages are
quite standard and therefore a good start for newcomers -- but then the
final package should be "lintian-clean" with not too much efforts.

The package I am using as example is wcsaxes [3], and it ends up in
quite a couple of /usr/lib/.png lintian warnings. I don't want to
explain to a newcomer "just ignore these, or make them silent".

The Debian Policy [4] states (9.1.1):

| 1. The FHS requirement that architecture-independent application-
| specific static files be located in /usr/share is relaxed to a
| suggestion. In particular, a subdirectory of /usr/lib may be used by a
| package (or a collection of packages) to hold a mixture of
| architecture-independent and architecture-dependent files. However,
| when a directory is entirely composed of architecture-independent
| files, it should be located in /usr/share.

which is a bit contradicting to the current practice: If it is just a
suggestion, then maybe the lintian warning has not right severity
"warning" and should be lowered? And are pure python packages
(Architecure: all) not covered by the last sentence and should *not* be
in /usr/lib/ by policy?

What is the best way here, also to explain this in a tutorial to an
absolute newcomer?

Best regards

Ole

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/