Thanks for the summary Piotr!  I was really sorry I couldn't make Debconf this
year.

On Aug 24, 2015, at 11:08 PM, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:

>Python 3.5 as supported
>=======================
>
>python3-defaults in experimental already has 3.5 as supported.  Ubuntu did
>this change as well and reported back that it's not as problematic as many
>previous transitions we had in the past. Some concerns were raised that many
>upstreams didn't test their code with 3.5 as its final version is still not
>released (and services like Travis do not enable it). In some places the
>packaging assumes all python3 to be available, but the build dependency on
>python3-all{,-dev} is missing.

I've made very good progress here, with one notable exception (see below),
although of course there is a long tail of packages which need fixing for
Python 3.5 support.  Ubuntu 15.10 will have 3.5 supported but not default.
Maybe by the time 16.04 opens, we'll have already made the switch in Stretch.
I'd certainly like the next Debian release, and the next Ubuntu LTS to be 3.5
by default, with 3.4 (possibly? probably?) dropped.

Wherever possible, I've tried to upload fixes to unstable, even though we
won't notice them until 3.5 is supported there too.  Anyone interested in
helping out should take a look at the ubuntu-devel@ mailing list threads, and
take a look at buildlogs from the Ubuntu PPA I am keeping up to date:

https://launchpad.net/~pythoneers/+archive/ubuntu/py35asdefault/+packages

Django is the notable exception.  I had hoped to be able to backport enough
Python 3.5 support to Django 1.7.9, but that just wasn't feasible.  We'll need
to get 1.8.4 out of experimental, but there are a bunch of packages that also
need updating or fixing, and I don't exactly know how compatible they all are
with both Python 3.5 and Django 1.8.

http://tinyurl.com/qz6rorh

If you can help with any of the Django packages, please get in touch.

Cheers,
-Barry