On Sep 14, 2015, at 04:26 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>It seems very likely that we'll want to release Stretch with python3.5 as the
>default and only python3 version.

+1

>For packages that build fine with python3.5, there should be nothing required
>from a maintainer point of view.  Except pycxx this can all be done with
>binNMUs.  Ubuntu has already done this transition and has patches for a
>number of packages that may be of assistance when working through issues.

Wherever possible, I've been uploading fixes to the Debian packages, so most
of the Ubuntu transition should be good to go (modulo rebuilds) in Debian.
There's of course a long tail of packages that I haven't spent time on.  There
may be a couple that aren't in DPMT or otherwise were only uploaded to Ubuntu,
so when in doubt look there and/or in BTS.  For packages which needed upstream
fixes, I've either opened bugs or grabbed patches in upstream trackers or vcs.
There have been a handful of new upstream releases, and I expect many more now
that Python 3.5 final has been released.

Thanks for moving this forward Scott.

Cheers,
-Barry