On Nov 02, 2015, at 09:51 PM, Sandro Tosi wrote:

>with the new DPMT repo layout and tools, what is the right way to
>maintain multiple active branches for our packages? things like:
>
>1. unstable at v(ersion)3, bpo70 at v1 and bpo8 at v2
>2. unstable at v1, experimental at v2
>
>all of them active, so in the 2. case there should be a way to keep
>updating v1 and v2 releases (and so unstable and exp) as the come.

I'm kind of doing something like this for python-pip.  I'm (slowly) working on
updating the whole stack to the latest upstream, but I'm also maintaining
1.5.6.  I just created a release-1.5.6 branch and switch to that when I'm
doing stable maintenance, then switch back to master when I'm working on the
new upstream.

I have an upstream-release-1.5.6 and of course when I `git-dpm c-p` on the
release-1.5.6 branch, I end up in a patched-release-1.5.6 branch.  Really, I
don't do much special other than switch to the relevant branch; all other
workflows seem to continue to do the right thing.

Cheers,
-Barry