I've occasionally seen this when I try to `git-dpm tag`:

git-dpm: ERROR: 'upstream' differs from recorded one!

In the past I've just done `git-dpm tag --refresh-upstream` but I think that's
not the right thing to do.  I think this means that you've `git pull`d while
in master and the upstream branch is still behind (i.e. it's been fetched but
not pulled).  Sure enough, when I switched to the upstream branch I saw:

Switched to branch 'upstream'
Your branch is behind 'origin/upstream' by 1 commit, and can be fast-forwarded.
  (use "git pull" to update your local branch)

I git pulled while in upstream, then checkout master and re-did the `git-dpm
tag`.  This time all was happy.

FYI I suppose.
-Barry