Hi,

On 27/09/2016 01:16, Boylan, Ross wrote:
I'd like to use zodb, and it looks as if the most recent Debian version
available is 3.3, and that's available only for python2.  I'd like to use the
current zodb, 5.0, with python3.  Aside  from preferring to use current
software, it looks as if zodb 5 with python 3 sometimes has significant
performance advantages.

I believe I could just install it using easy_install, but since this has many
dependencies I'll end up with a lot of local python packages that the Debian
package system won't know about.

So I thought I might try updating the existing package (and maybe its
dependents).  It has some oldish (1 year) requests for newer updates against
it, and so I suspect the maintainers aren't too active.  The control file
references Vcs-Svn: svn://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-zope/zodb/trunk, which has
only the debian directory.

I'm guessing this is all supposed to work with svn-bp.alioth.debian.org, but am
not sure how to proceed.  And since I don't have or want commit privileges, I'm
not sure that working with subversion is a good idea.

Any suggestions how to proceed?  I have also downloaded a semi-random python3
package (python3-bitarray, which has some C code) to see how things are
packaged for python3.

Should I expect that the debhelper scripts will be able to figure out the
dependent packages without my need to specify them explicitly?

Thanks.
Ross Boylan

Isn't there a maintainer/uploader for this package, whom you could ask?

Snark on #debian-python