On Fri, 30 Dec 2016 10:14:20 Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 06:52:37AM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > I don't know the rationale for having the apt and gpg bindings as Priority
> > standard, but if these can be made optional, then the depending packages
> > can be made optional as well.
>
> python-apt is standard because it was used by apt-listchanges which is
> standard, and nobody followed the transition to Python 3 in apt-listchanges
> by switching the priorities in python-apt (2 should become optional, 3
> standard).

While python-apt being Priority:standard is indeed a relic of the old apt-
listchanges dependency (I forgot to mention that relationship in my earlier
mail, sorry), it is no longer useful or required for python3-apt to have its
priority increased to match the new apt-listchanges. In the discussion in
#758234, there is a consensus that it makes no sense to raise the priority of
dependency packages since all the tools involved can already resolve the
dependencies without requiring the priorities to be appropriately set.¹

Julian, as a python-apt maintainer, would you like to raise the appropriate
bug against ftp.debian.org or are you happy for me to do this?

        override: python-apt:python/optional

cheers
Stuart

①  What remains to have priority inversion permitted (encouraged!) by Policy
is a suitable patch; since Policy documents standard practice and it is
already standard practice to permit priority inversion for dependencies,
there's no reason to raise the priority of python3-apt.

--
Stuart Prescott    http://www.nanonanonano.net/   stu...@nanonanonano.net
Debian Developer   http://www.debian.org/         stu...@debian.org