On Sunday, February 05, 2017 03:59:37 PM Brian May wrote:
> Scott Kitterman <deb...@kitterman.com> writes:
> > We should probably be thinking in terms of post-release for this change.
> > During the pre-release freeze, the release team doesn't typically allow
> > changes that extraneous to fixing the specific issue they are letting a
> > package into Testing to fix.  The .git-dpm file is shipped in the package,
> > so if we drop git-dpm, we're going to have to deal with getting .git-dpm
> > removals through the release team for any package that needs update
> > during the freeze.
>
> The .git-dpm file is only shipped with the Debian source package, and
> AFAIK has no meaning outside git. So it is a useless file for the Debian
> source package. There should be no impact whatsoever in removing it, and
> you could even argue that it was a bug to distribute it in the Debian
> source in the fist place.

The opinion of the release team matters here more than yours or mine.  Before
doing anything pre-release, we ought to get a reading from them.

> > That will also give us time to make sure we have a proper migration
> > strategy and sufficient documentation.
>
> That may be a better reason.
>
> Hence the reason I suggested not doing a mass migration of all packages
> at once (at least for now) but to update the package when it otherwise
> needs updating.

Experimentation with a few packages to prepare for a migration and make sure
the documentation is good, is fine.  We really ought to switch for real all at
once like we did for svn -> git.  It's not much of a team repository without a
consistent approach for VCS use.

Scott K