On 02/04/17 08:39, Vincent Bernat wrote:
 ❦  1 avril 2017 19:42 -0400, Sandro Tosi <mo...@debian.org> :

It's not at all clear where [1] came from.  The lintian changelog [3] does not
give a bug reference and I couldn't find a bug.

it's just a few lines down in the changelog:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=829744 (it is kinda
sad that there was no discussion with the python team from the lintian
maintainer before accepting and merging it, even if it was done after
stretch freeze, which was indeed a clever move)

I'll just point out that Scott did contribute to the discussion which lead to the introduction of this Lintian tag in the bug report mentioned above.

It's a general trend with Lintian: it's easier to push for a Lintian tag
in a random bug report than getting a consensus and translate it to a
Lintian tag.

The introduction of the Lintian tag was ack'd by a member of the team (see message 40). Sure this is no consensus, but the decision was not "random" either.

CC'ing lamby who might want to shed some light on this.

On the current subject, I also agree we should not drop prematurely
packages targeted to Python 2. It is likely the support will be extended
past 2020, at least by distributions with a 10-year support.

IMO, it's not our job to decide how the ecosystem should work. We will
be alienating our own users. We are not in the strong position we were
10 years ago and those users will just switch to another distribution.

Please focus on the current package (csvkit). It is an **application** package, so whether the console scripts are called with Python 2 or Python 3 really does not matter.

Perhaps it used to be the case in the past, but the library component has been deported to the agate packages, for which I answered Sandro's request to package. The reward I am getting is anger and frustration from the team, despite my good will. Not cool :-(

Nowadays, the binary package produced by src:csvkit might as well be called `csvkit`, and be installed somewhere under /usr/share instead of the system site-packages for what it is worth.

Ghis