On Wed, 17 May 2017 at 11:03:40 +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 05/16/2017 02:30 PM, Simon McVittie wrote:
> > PyPI packages correspond to Debian source packages, not binary packages.
>
> I don't think there ever was a source package name policy, neither in
> Debian nor in this group.

I meant conceptually rather than literally for this one - there is indeed
no hard requirement for source package names (because there does not need
to be a hard requirement, because they are not functionally significant
in the same way binary package names are). As far as I'm aware, there
is a loose common-sense policy that the source package name should either
be what upstream call it, or what upstream call it plus some disambiguation
where required (like the way some Python packages reuse the binary package
name python-foo for software that upstream just calls foo).