at bottom :-

On 06/06/2018, shirish शिरीष <shirisha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I was just looking for documentation about what's keeping us from
> getting to python 3 but couldn't find anything which I could lay my
> finger on.
>
> I did find some obsolete documentation though on the wiki. The entries
> can be seen at -
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Python
>
> and
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Python/Python3Port
>
> The list addresses are of alioth glven therein. I am guessing most of
> those mails have been submerged in debian-python debian mailing list
> (i.e. here) probably.
>
> I was also looking for a BusterRoadmap on lines of the Stretch roadmap
> and the Jessie roadmap from before but didn't find anything :(
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Python/StretchRoadmap
> https://wiki.debian.org/Python/JessieRoadmap
>
> I have also been trying to understand which packages/modules are
> remaining for python 3 to be the default-python
>
> $ apt-cache policy python
> python:
>   Installed: 2.7.15~rc1-1
>   Candidate: 2.7.15~rc1-1
>   Version table:
>  *** 2.7.15~rc1-1 500
>         500 http://cdn-fastly.deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64
> Packages
>         100 http://cdn-fastly.deb.debian.org/debian unstable/main amd64
> Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> Look forward to answers. I do remember of times reading documentation
> when the stdlib did not have all the libraries of a particular 3.x
> version. I also remember reading somewhere that we still used lot of
> python 2 scripts. Another could be that 2.7 will have support till
> 2020.
>
> In either way having a roadmap would be nice.

I just read Andrey's mail at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2018/06/msg00024.html . Please
CC me if somebody replies.

Maybe it would have been better to say that right now python gives

$ python --version
Python 2.7.15

To be more precise,  I meant to know if 'Bullseye' i.e Debian 11 would
have python 3.0 as default or not.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल