On 08/08/2018 03:55 PM, Ruben Undheim wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> The problem with git-debrebase will be the same as with git-dpm. As soon
>> as you try to upgrade / merge a new upstream release, you dive into a
>> rebase/conflict nightmare.
>
> So in other words, you prefer to solve the same conflicts manually with
> quilt/quilt refresh

Yes. Whenever a patch cannot be applied, generally, applying it manually
to do the rebase is much easier than with just git. ie: just use patch,
then manage whatever's left in the .rej files, then dpkg-source --commit
the result. In my experience, it is much easier to see what's going on
rather than solving a merge conflict with git.

> There is no nightmare unless there are patch conflicts.

Of course. But it is these cases which we care about here.

> All the tools will
> in that case give you a nightmare in one way or the other. It is just that
> some
> of them attempt to handle it a bit more elegantly than the others.

I don't think we care if it is elegant. We care efficiency,
manageability, and above all: to always understand what's going on.

> For people familar with git (and rebase) - the nightmare should not be bad
> at all with git-debrebase.

I have experienced all sorts of weird situation where it was really hard
to figure out what was coming from before the rebase, and after it, just
by reading the source code. It's often a lot easier to just read the
patch, and try to manually modify the code to do what the patch suggests
... or not! That's the important bit. Be able to see what's going on and
take a wise decision.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)