On Sunday, September 16 2018, Elena wrote:

> On 2018-09-16 at 01:32:05 -0400, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
>> > 1. I'd like to revert some changes to the salsa repo for my package, as
>> > these changes were never uploaded to Debian and are not superseded by
>> > new upstream package. Is it OK to do a "git reset --hard xxxx" to make
>> > them disappear in my repository?
>>
>> You mean do a "git reset --hard" locally and then "git push" the
>> modified history?  This is not ideal, but if you're the only one using
>> the repository, and if there was no Debian release containing the code
>> you're reverting, then I'd say it's OK.
>
> can one be sure that nobody else is using the repository? maybe nobody
> in debian, but what about our derivatives? or even our users
>
> if there is a strong need to remove those changes (e.g. for copyright
> reasons) I agree that a reset --hard is a reasonable option, but if it's
> just to keep the repo clean my personal preference would be for a ``git
> revert`` that doesn't break the repo for other users.

I understand and agree with your comment, but it seems like his commits
are pretty recent.  As I said, overwitting history is never ideal, but
under specific circumstances I think it's "ok-ish".

But sure, if you're comfortable with using "git revert", then by all
means, go ahead.

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36