On 05.11.18 10:32, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 05.11.18 09:17, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 at 21:09, Thomas Goirand <z...@debian.org> wrote:
>>> Hi there!
>>> During Debconf, we decided we would not decide yet, and see in November
>>> if we think it's reasonable to allow Python 3.7 to reach Buster. Time
>>> has passed, RC bugs have been fixed, and now is probably the time to
>>> open this thread.
>>> To me, as much as the OpenStack packages are concerned, I'm kind of fine
>>> with 3.7, modulo fixing this bug in Glance:
>>> https://bugs.debian.org/911947
>>> which I forwarded here:
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1800601
>>> It looks like this bug is 3.7.1 specific (ie: there's no bug if using
>>> Python 3.7.0). Upstream had a look, and didn't find a way to fix (yet).
>>> Help appreciated.
>> I commented on the bug.
>>> It looks like everything else in OpenStack works.
>>> What is the situation for other packages? Do we have lots of Python 3.7
>>> problems remaining? If so, it'd be nice to have them listed somewhere,
>>> so we have a clear picture of what's going on.
>> We're going through the process of switching to 3.7 as default in Ubuntu
>> right now, so I think it makes sense to switch Debian too fairly soon. I'm
>> trying to remember to attach all my patches to Debian bug reports...
> in Ubuntu, we were able to migrate it (equivalent to the unstable -> testing
> migration) with 3.7 as the default.  We are in progress removing 3.6 as
> supported, which exposed some autopkg test regressions which are currently
> worked on. See
> http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/update_excuses.html#python3-defaults
>> Cheers,
>> mwh
>> Do other fellow DD also think it's kind of ok to keep 3.7 in Buster?
>>> Also, Doko, do you plan on upgrading to newer point release? Python
>>> 3.7.1-rc1 and 3.7.1 both were the cause of troubles for me. I just hope
>>> this wont happen again (though I'd understand if you wished to upgrade
>>> once more before the freeze). In any ways, it'd be nice to communicate
>>> what you're planning on doing.
> I'm in favor of going with 3.7, and would like to update to the current 3.7
> release branch at freeze, and then to 3.7.2 later, expected in January.

fyi, the release team accepted the transition, and 3.7 should arrive as the
default in unstable very soonish.

Reply via email to