On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 at 17:27:53 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 at 11:15:31 -0500, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> > if you install `pubsub` as top-level module, your package must be
> > named pythonN-pubsub, if not it violates the policy and it's RC buggy.
>
> That's what I had thought, but I've also seen people asserting that the
> Debian package name ought to reflect the egg name in cases where it
> differs from the top-level Python module name.

I've opened
https://salsa.debian.org/cpython-team/python3-defaults/merge_requests/2
to clarify this. Comments welcome, particularly if you don't think my
proposed change reflects consensus.

(I tried to open a wishlist bug in python3-defaults, but the BTS hasn't
responded so far.)

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 08:29:34 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 at 08:30:16 +0800,  Yao Wei (魏銘廷) wrote:
> > If the module name has upper case in it, it would actually break Policy
> > §5.6.1
>
> I'd assumed the "foo" here was shorthand for
> module_name.lower().replace('_', '-'), although maybe it would be better
> for this to be explicit in the policy.

Documenting this is also part of
https://salsa.debian.org/cpython-team/python3-defaults/merge_requests/2

> autopkgtest-pkg-python would ideally transform - back to _ to decide
> what to import, which would fix the more_itertools case?

In fact it already does.
https://salsa.debian.org/ci-team/autodep8/merge_requests/17 adds test
coverage.

> It would need
> an override mechanism for the Xlib case anyway

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=884181 and
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=929957 are requests
for such a mechanism.

https://salsa.debian.org/ci-team/autodep8/merge_requests/6 and