On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, 15:50 Andreas Tille, <andr...@an3as.eu> wrote:

> the
> > >
> > > I admit I'm absolutely naive about swig - but if libsbml.py is really
> > > autogenerated what about re-generating it with swig-4?
> >
> > I think there's a miscommunication here. The file in the archive(on doing
> > $apt source python3-sbml5) is generated with swig-4 already, while it's
> > generated with swig-3 upstream.
> > Hence the issue.
>
> Ahhh, so it is regenerated in the Debian package build process but it
> conflicts with other parts of the upstream code?  Did I now understood
> correctly?

Yep.
That's my _suspicion_ though, that the rest of the upstream code isn't
compatible with the new version, and there are API changes needed.
Hence I sent the mail to confirm if I'm thinking in the right direction.

> I wonder if we should exclude this kind of autogenerated code inside
> the source tarball since we are repackaging the source anyway to exclude
> some files for policy reasons.  I'm doing so in other source tarballs
> for instance with cython files to be absolutely sure that this code
> is regenerated.  This would probably not solve the build issue but might
> be a good idea in general.  What do you think?

It seems like libsbml.py would be needed by the rest of the code. So we can
maybe keep the upstream's generated code and not generate it on our own -
this however does not seem DFSG compliant.
Not really sure what to do here.