Hello,

A long time ago, I opened an ITP [1] for Kwant, a Python library for
quantum physics computations that is popular with researchers in the
field.  Since we, the developers of Kwant, are running our own Debian
package repository, there was not much pressure to migrate the packages
into Debian proper, but finally as a new big Kwant release is taking
shape, I would like to finish the work and phase out our own repository.
(In order to be able to do that we will have to provide backports so
that people running Debian stable will be able to use up-to-date Kwant,
but I suppose that this should be possible.)

As a first step I would like to package the library tinyarray [2].
Ondrej Novy was so kind to create a repository on salsa [3] to which
I had pushed my packaging efforts.

I noticed that since then Ondrej did some small modifications to the
packaging.

In the following, I would like to take up the discussion that got
interrupted in August 2018:

Ondrej Novy wrote on 22 Aug 2018:

> st 22. 8. 2018 v 14:04 odesílatel Christoph Groth <christ...@grothesque.org>
> napsal:
>
> > trusting PyPI to store the official release tarballs...
>
> trusting PyPi store without PGP signature is really bad idea.
>
> > I've also kept the full upstream history in the upstream branch,
> > assuming this to be more robust and powerful.  For example, this
> > allows to directly cherry-pick commits into the patch queue.
>
> you can cherry-pick commits into pq even without full upstream history
> in salsa git, using second remote.
>
> > Since both these practices are discouraged by the policy, I'm ready
> > to give them up, but before I spend time working on it, I would like
> > to ask
>
> I prefer to have git layout according to DPMT policy. There are
> reasons for it.

So, it seems to me that I should proceed as follows:

* Create a new packaging repository that follows DPMT policy in the
  above two points.

* Update it with the packaging modifications that have been done so far.

* Push the new repository to salsa.  Is there some recommended way to
  get rid of all the old branches and tags?  Perhaps creating a new
  repository on salsa (and renaming / deleting the old one) would be
  good solution?

Thanks
Christoph

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=886418