I am appending the following two sections to the python policy chapter 2,
documenting what currently is in testing.  There are different opinions, no
perfect solutions, and if we disagree, we should delegate the final decision
whether to include or to not include the binary packages
python{,-dev}-is-python3 built from the what-is-python source to the CTTE.

Matthias

+Removal of the unversioned packages
+-----------------------------------
+
+Starting with the Debian 11 release (bullseye), the binary packages
+``python``, ``python-minimal``, ``python-dev``, ``python-dbg`` and
+``python-doc`` are removed.  No package in the archive must use any of
+these packages as build dependencies, dependencies, recommendations or
+suggestions.
+
+
+Unversioned python commands
+---------------------------
+
+For the Debian 11 release (bullseye), the :file:`/usr/bin/python`
+command is provided in the ``python-is-python2`` package (pointing to
+:file:`/usr/bin/python2`).  The :file:`/usr/bin/python-config` and
+:file:`/usr/bin/pydoc` commands are provided in the
+``python-dev-is-python2`` package.  These package are not installed by
+default for new installations, but only for upgrades from the Debian
+10 release (buster).  These packages should be removed after an
+upgrade.  These packages will not be part of the Debian 12 release
+(bookworm).
+
+The packages ``python-is-python3`` and ``python-dev-is-python3``
+provide the :file:`/usr/bin/python`, :file:`/usr/bin/python-config`
+and :file:`/usr/bin/pydoc` commands pointing to Python3.  These
+packages can be installed by developers and users to use the
+unversioned commands.  NOTE: Locally installed software not yet ported
+to Python3 is likely to break when installing these packages.
+
+The packages ``python-is-python3``, ``python-dev-is-python3``,
+``python-is-python2`` and ``python-dev-is-python2`` must not be used
+as build dependencies, dependencies, recommendations or suggestions.