On 2/4/22 9:18 PM, Julian Gilbey wrote:
Basically, the mistune upstream author has completely messed up on
this by making what is essentially a completely different package with
superficially similar functionality but the same name.

True.
[...]
_mistune.py within the Debian package,
and have nbconvert do "import nbconvert.filters._mistune as mistune"
(see /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/nbconvert/filters/markdown_mistune.py).
That seems like an eminently sensible solution to this problem.

But that'd lead to a number of mistune's embedded copies in a huge number of
packages; since majority of
the rev-deps (when I last checked) haven't adapted to this new version. When
they do,
and it becomes a overhead to fix each one later.
Even worse, if we discover a security problem sometime later, then all such
packages would be
effected, and that honestly does not look like a good idea to me.

I somehow do not understand the urgency of uploading this newer version, as the
maintainer said:

| I intend to upload src:mistune 2.0.0 to unstable between March the
| 15th and April the 15th (depending on the progress of its
| reverse-dependencies).

We could simply wait a little more for the dust to settle, IMHO.

Regards,
Nilesh