On 2022-08-24 18:34, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
Hello Claudius,

Hi Carsten,

thanks for your reply!

Am 24.08.22 um 15:00 schrieb Claudius Heine:
Hi,

I am not a member of the Python team and want to contribute a Debian
package for tpm2-pytss to help resolve #1011358 [1].

I am not sure how to proceed here. Do I need to become a
member/contributor/maintainer of this package or will this package be
collectively maintained by the python team afterwards?

this depends on you and your intentions.
If you want to maintain this package by your own you don't need to become a member of the Python Packaging Team. But you will need a sponsor for your uploads then.

One big advantage of team maintained package is that not only one specific maintaining person (the Maintainer field in d/control) is required and to be around. You still can add yourself to the Uploaders field anyway.

Maintaining a package costs time and requires technical skills to fulfill the Debian packaging policy. Ask yourself if you can ensure you will have the required time to do the packaging work, especially if you want to maintain the package alone by yourself, but also if you are interested in maintaining this package within the DPT. It's not a good behavior to prepare a package, find a sponsor and then the contributor isn't seen anymore afterwards. Other Debian maintainer will need to take care on that package then.

I am not possessive about this package and would like to share maintainer-ship if possible. For me this is contract work, I am not doing this for myself, but for a customer, which will continue to use this and packages around it for rolling out Linux-based Desktop systems for their employees. So I suspect that this will be used and maintained in any case, even if not my me personally.

Debian already contains the tpm2-pkcs11 package, which in its newest version (1.8.0) (see #1011376 [1]) will require tpm2-pytss (which this is about). So I guess sooner or later (if tpm2-pkcs11 is still maintained), someone will need to create tpm2-pytss as well.

tpm2-pkcs11 1.8.0 is required to fix bugs when used with openssl 3, that are present in older versions (1.7.0).

My goal here mainly was to help and speed up the upgrade of tpm2-pkcs11 to 1.8.0 by supplying the tpm2-pytss package. Also of course avoiding low-quality and duplicate work by providing the packages to upstream Debian.

I guess I need to be a member to create the repo on salsa. I already
have made an account there (@cmhe).

Yes, if you want to create a repo within the teams namespace.

But you can always create new repos within YOUR own namespace! The repo could later easily transferred into the DPT space on Salsa once the trees are ready and finished.

I'd suggest to start that way and ask here on the list once you feel someone should review your work. You can e.g. force push to your git tree as often you want to do so or feel to need to do. Once the repo is within the DPT force pushing is a no-go and is mostly disabled for good reason.

Yes, sure. I already started doing that as soon as my salsa account was approved:

https://salsa.debian.org/cmhe/tpm2-pytss

That should work already, but currently I am just adding salsa-ci support, and possible fixing some metadata issues.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1011358

If you are interested in showing that you are willing to do further work on this issue you should take over the ownership for this issue and also do a retitle of the bug report e.g. by using the 'bts' command. This is available locally once you have installed the package devscripts and have setup a local MTA [1]. I personally use nullmailer for this job

You can then interact with the BTS and set the ownership.

bts owner 1011358 c...@denx.de , retitle 1011358 "ITP: tpm2-pytss -- TPM2 TSS Python bindings"

More explanations about controlling the BTS can be found here:

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control

Thanks for the info!

regards,
Claudius